Yeah. So Reading Week is almost finished. I did manage to accomplish a few things such as:
1) Term paper proposal and 3 page biblio for my postcolonial class.
2) Finished readings for the same class for next week and almost finished the 4 page focus note I hand in each class.
3) Started readings on Marxist eschatology for my Mod. Euro History class.
4) Stumbled through more participle drills and a syntax introduction with my Russian tutor.
5) Read a necessary chapter for my field exams and made notes.
6) Sortakinda did some more work on my Russian/Soviet history syllabus and found books to group under each theme.
7) Found sources for my Mod. Euro. term paper (which will be a lit review on Russian emigration after the 1917 Revolutions…a crucial step for my thesis proposal).
Those are some of the school thingies I did manage to take down. More important stuff I did was:
1) spent a whole, uninterrupted weekend with my partner-no books for me, no shifts at the Goat for him. We had dates, ate food, drank like they’re bringing back prohibition, and well, did fun stuff together.
2) Hung out with friends and went places where friends can be made.
3) Had folks over for dinner, games, drinks, potluck on several occasions.
4) Finished knitting the body for my Henry Rollins doll. It’s pretty bad ass.
5) Going to pick up the children in an hour to spend the whole weekend with them. Swimming at the pool, my son’s hockey game, getting crafty with my daughter, and eating a roast beef dinner.
6) Sang “Mr. Jones” by Counting Crows at a huge Karaoke thing we all went to last week. I figured if I was to engage the cheese, I should go with the cheese. I didn’t enjoy the doing, but I can now say I’ve done it and move on.
7) Watched “District 9″ and Battlestar Galactica-”Razor” on the sofa whilst knitting my PhD Afghan shown in the image below. The blanket pattern is called ‘Liberty,’ but the thing takes so long to knit, I’ll likely have my doctorate before I finish the thing.
I feel like the second group of things accomplished is so much more fun and interesting than the first group of items. I did do stuff I need to do, and will address a few things over the weekend, but it was really nice to be able to step back a bit this past week and do shit I actually enjoy with people I love. I didn’t even get the study guilts. I mixed the work and pleasure well for once and have fully enjoyed the brief respite.